8 Tips if you’re feeling homesick
Our volunteers have compiled 8 tips to help you if you’re feeling homesick:
1) Understand why you are feeling homesick and what homesickness is:
This article summarises what happens to your body and mind when you feel homesick: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/what-happens-mind-body-homesick_us_5b201ebde4b09d7a3d77eee1
2) Find places within the city to make it feel like home:
- Establish your favourite coffee shop/book shop/park – you will soon start to recognise faces in these places, and they will begin to feel familiar and homely.
- Volunteer to feel a part of the local community – a couple hours in a charity shop, or university role/society will give you another purpose within the city and allow you to make friends outside of your degree and your ordinary routine.
3) Re-create the comforts of home:
- Think about if there is anything specific you are missing from home, maybe home cooked meals, maybe watching TV as a family unit, maybe your local park.
- Cook yourself a warm comforting meal once a week – it can also be useful to cook for flats mates and eat together once a week.
- Decorate your room with things to make it feel your own. Student dorms and flats can often be dull looking, but blankets lamps and pictures can soon help it feel more like your own safe space.
4) Distract yourself:
Homesickness often occurs during free time. Having a busy schedule is a very effective way to take your mind off homesickness.
5) Track your homesickness:
If there are specific days or times during your week when you always experience homesickness, replace these times with something to look forward to – perhaps doing something nice with friends, going to an exercise class or joining a society to take your mind off it.
6) Train your brain:
Sometimes it is useful to remember that Semester Two only lasts for four months. When you look at University this way, you can start to make the most of your time at University!
7) Reverse logic:
While going home during the semester is great, it can also serve to intensify feelings of homesickness when you return to University life. Limiting the number of times you go home during the semester can be a really effective way to help you settle into life at University.
8) And remember... be kind to yourself!
Homesickness is perfectly natural, and many students experience homesickness from time to time. Don’t give yourself a hard time about it.
Page last updated: