How to pay your fees

The process of paying your fees depends on whether you receive funding and, if so, who you are funded by.


Undergraduate Students

If you are an Undergraduate student in receipt of tuition fee support from SAAS, SFE, SFNI or SFW, your funding body will pay your fees directly to the University. You will, however, need to apply for tuition fee support every year and will also need to check your award notice carefully to ensure that tuition fee support has been granted.


If you receive an invoice or any reminder emails from the University, it is likely that an issue has occurred. Do not ignore these e-mails. Our advisers can support you in resolving any funding or fee concerns.


Taught Masters Students


Funded by SAAS

If you are a taught Masters student in receipt of a tuition fee loan from SAAS, the value of your tuition fee loan will be paid directly to the University. If the tuition fees for your course exceed the value of your tuition fee loan, you will need to:


  • - Forward proof of any scholarships or other funding you have in place to cover the remainder to and 
  • - Arrange payment for the remaining amount. You can usually pay this via the University’s instalment plan.
  • - Undertake a combination of the above.


Funded by SFE

If you are a taught Masters student in receipt of a postgraduate loan from SFE and plan to use all or part of this loan to cover your fees you should email a copy of your payment schedule from the Student Loans Company to An instalment plan will then be set up to fit with your loan schedule. Any shortfall between the tuition fees charged for your course and the value of your postgraduate loan cannot be paid via instalment but will instead need to be paid in advance of your course or at the point of matriculating.



Funded by Scholarships or Educational Loans

Details of payment arrangements for students in receipt of funding support from other external bodies can be found at the webpages below:


If the full fees for your course are not paid directly to the University via a scholarship or loan, you will need to arrange for payment of any fees owed. You can pay online with a credit or debit card, by bank transfer, or in person at the University’s Student Information Point at Old College.



Can I pay by instalment?

In many cases, students are able to pay their tuition fees via instalment. However, some exclusions apply. You can read more about this here.


In the majority of cases, the first instalment will be 50% followed by two lots of 25%. If you fail to pay these instalments on time, you can lose the right to pay this way and you will need to pay the whole amount.


Remember, the University needs to know where money is coming from so when you are making a payment, make sure you use your student number as a reference.


When you matriculate, you will be asked to pay your first instalment if you have not done so already. You will then need to set up a ‘direct debit mandate’ for the next two payments (a direct debit is an automatic payment from your UK bank on a set date, you cannot do this from a savings account). You can set up your direct debit mandate online or with a paper form. Further details.


Once you have set it up correctly, you or the person paying will receive written confirmation of the bank details provided and a breakdown of the instalment dates and amounts. If no confirmation has been received, it is likely that an error has occurred. If you unsure about whether a mandate has been successfully set up, it is worth contacting the University’s fee payment team at or 0131 650 9214.


Make sure that you have sufficient funds in your account at least one day before the instalment due date. Strict deadlines are in place for the setting up of a direct debit mandate and for the payment of instalments. 



I got an invoice and I am not sure why - what should I do?                                                     

Once an invoice has been sent to you, there is an expectation it will be paid if it hasn’t been paid already. Invoices don’t usually show payments that have already been made, but you can find further details on these by checking your MyEd finance channel.


If you think an invoice has been sent in error, you need to contact the Fees and Student Support team in the first instance on or call them on 0131 650 2230.


You should not have been sent an invoice if your fees are being paid by your funding body directly. If you have, you need to find out why you have been sent the bill - do not ignore it.


If your funding body is late paying your fees, we can support you in communicating with them and with the University’s fee payment team. In certain circumstances, you may be asked to make payment yourself whilst you wait on fee payment from your funder. Once the funding body has paid the University you may be able to ask for a refund. See the below section on refunds for further details.



I haven’t had a reminder email and I haven’t paid - is everything ok?                                       

No, do not wait for reminder emails. All students are responsible for making sure their tuition fees are paid in time. You will be able to find out amounts owed and dates of payment by checking your MyEd finance channel.



I have overpaid my fees - will I get a refund?

Unless you are in your final year or have withdrawn from your programme of study, you will not generally be able to access a refund for any overpayment in fees.


Instead, in most cases, overpayments will be kept as credit to pay your fees for the next academic year. Where students pay their fees in full and later receive tuition fee support from a recognised funding body, the university may be able to offer a refund.


In cases where refunds are granted, the money will be refunded via the same process by which it was paid (for example, if the money was paid from your parents’ account it will not be refunded to your account). Further information is available here.


Page last updated: