If you’re unhappy about something which is the responsibility of the University, there are a number of ways you can address this. If you’re unsure about the best way to raise your issue, or need some help with making a complaint, come and talk to an Adviser.

You can read our guide to complaints here.

Where an issue with a course or programme is affecting a number of students, often the best way to raise this is by discussing it with your Class Rep or School Rep. Reps are elected to represent the views of students in their class or School to the relevant members of staff.

If you have a concern which relates to University policy, you may wish to discuss this with one of your elected Sabbatical Officers, who may be able to take your issue to the relevant body within the University.

Making a complaint
If your issue does not fall into one of the categories above, or you would like to raise an issue yourself, you may wish to make use of the University’s complaints procedure.

You can complain about things like:

·         The University not providing a service that you feel it should have
·         The quality of facilities or learning resources
·         Feeling you have been treated unfairly or inappropriately by a student or staff member
·         The failure of the University to follow an appropriate administrative process
·         Dissatisfaction with University policies

The complaints procedure is geared towards finding resolution for the issues raised in complaints. When you are thinking about making a complaint it is useful to think about what you would like to achieve; we can help you to consider what may be realistic outcomes from your complaint.

Is there anything I can’t complain about?
There are some things that the University will not deal with through their complaints procedure. The procedure cannot be used to deal with appeals about academic decisions, assessment or admissions, requests that only concern compensation, or any attempt to reopen a complaint that has already been investigated.

You usually need to complain within six months of the issue arising. If there is a good reason why this time limit has been exceeded, the University may still consider your complaint.

I want to make a complaint- what do I need to do?

  • The first step in making a complaint is to raise the issue with the person or department who are responsible for whatever you are unhappy about. 


  • It is useful to explain what has happened and why you are dissatisfied, along with what you consider to be a reasonable resolution.


  • If you are complaining about a person, you do not need to raise it with them directly if you do not wish to- you may for example raise it with the Head of School. It is important to understand, however, that in all likelihood they will be made aware that you are making a complaint.


  • In the event that you are not satisfied with the response you receive, you can complete a complaint form and request Complaint Investigation.

Advice on complaints
If you’re thinking about making a complaint, we have produced a guide to the complaints procedure to help you get started, but would encourage you to come and discuss this with an Adviser - simply contact the Advice Place.