Opening Hours



The Advice Place team are on hand during term-time, in both Potterrow and King's Buildings, at the following times.

If you need help during this time, the list below provides details of services that may be able to help you in our absence.

You can also call or email the team.


Holiday Opening Hours (Potterrow)

Monday 09:30 - 17:00
Tuesday 09:30 - 17:00
Wednesday 10:30 - 17:00
Thursday 09:30 - 17:00


09:30 - 17:00

Saturday Closed



KB house office is now closed for the summer and will reopen in September.

Out of hours help


In University-owned accommodation, students will be able to access crisis support out of hours via the University Security 24/7 number 0131 650 2257. Depending on their assessment, the caller may then be put through to a duty member of the student services team at the University.

What this service offers

Access to front line advice from the 24/7 security team and if necessary, access to an on-call student services manager who can offer further, practical advice and information, normally over the phone. The service is intended to support students who are experiencing a welfare crisis which is too urgent to leave until the next working day. Examples of a student welfare crisis might include: being a victim of crime; being hospitalised; loss of accommodation (e.g. due to fire or flood). These may be reported by the student or by the student’s flatmates/friends/family.

What is doesn’t offer

This service is not designed or intended in any way to replace the role of the emergency services or other relevant agencies such as GPs or other local NHS provision. Student services managers on call are not trained counsellors and will not be able to offer any form of therapeutic intervention.



If you require urgent medical attention call 999. If you have non-urgent concerns about your health, visit your GP or call NHS 24 on 111 for advice.

  • If you are in current mental health crisis you can contact:
  • NHS Mental Health Assessment Service
  • Or call an ambulance at 999
  • If you would like someone to talk to you can or contact one of the following services:
  •     Breathing Space 0800 83 85 87
  •     The Samaritans 116 123

  • Non-urgent enquiries

  • For non-urgent matters, feel free to contact via the box on the right or send us an email to and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.