If you don’t have accommodations sorted for the summer, but you’ve got way, way too much stuff to lug home, putting your belongings into a storage service over the summer might be a good idea! When looking for a storage service in Edinburgh, we’d recommend that you consider the following:
- Check what hours the business operates within! Some services will pick up and drop off your belongings, so see if their hours work within your timeframe.
- If the service operates as a storage warehouse, check what days and hours they are open.
- If you need to access your belongings whilst they’re in storage, ask how easy this would be.
- Do you trust that they’ll keep your belongings secure?
- Is the company insured to a reasonable amount, if anything should go wrong?
- If you want to employ a “pick up and drop off” service, find out where they will be storing your belongings – is it dry and secure, or at risk of damp, mould, moths, or fire?
- With a warehouse service, do you have your own padlock or can other people access your belongings?
- Shop around and see which businesses offer the best deals! Many storage services advertise student discounts or cheaper rates if you store with them for a certain length of time.
- Get free quotes from a number of places, which you can use to bargain down the price at the service you like most. Most warehouses will also do a cheaper rate for the first month.
- If you plan on storing your belongings in a storage warehouse, don’t forget to factor in the cost of packing up your belongings and transporting them to the warehouse, either by hiring a van, a van and driver, a taxi, or getting a lift from a friend.
- With a storage warehouse, also make sure you are only paying for the space you need. They may try to sell you a larger space than you require!
- With a pick up and drop off service, check if they supply the boxes and whether they’ll help you pack up your things into the van.
- You can get free boxes for packing up your belongings by asking at shops.
- Don’t pack all your heavy books in one big box! Think about what will be easy to lift and carry.
- Number your boxes to ensure that none go missing.
- Shop around and don’t be afraid of haggling for a cheaper price!
- Know where your belongings are and how you can access them if you need to.