Most new private tenancies in Scotland starting after 1st December will be a new Scottish Private Residential Tenancy.
- If you rent from the university or from a private purpose built student accommdoation provider then you'll continue to get given a Short Assured Tenancy but if you rent through a private landlord or a letting agent then you will have a Scottish Private Residential Tenancy and these will be very different.
- If you sign a lease before 1st December but it starts after 1st December you will still have a Scottish Private Residential Tenancy.
- If you sign a Short Assured Tenancy agreement but your lease starts after 1st December you will still have a Scottish Private Residential Tenancy.?
- If you are misled into moving out of a Scottish Private Residential Tenancy you can take your landlord to the First Tier tribunal of the Housing and Property Chamber who have the power to award you up to 6 months rent back.
From January 2018 All Letting Agents in Scotland will need to be registered.
- There will be a code of practice for all letting agents to follow and they will need to undergo accreditation training.
- If they are not meeting the code of practice for letting agents in Scotland you can take them to the First Tier Tribunal of the Housing and Property Chamber.