For EUSA to support People and Planet's 'Divest the Rest' campaign
Passed by Student Council on 5th November 2015
What will we do?
- 1) Support People and Planet's Divest the Rest campaign
- 2) Give space for us to display some posters with information about the campaign around campus
- 3) Hang up a banner outside the Potterow office
What is the background to this?
1) EUSA have always supported the ethical investment campaign in the past, and this year's VPS Urte ran on a platform supporting divestment from fossil fuels and arms.
2) The university is currently in the process of reviewing its ethical investment policy, so now is the time to be putting pressure on them to do the right thing.
3) This year Paris is hosting the COP21 climate talks, which again means this is a really important time for the campaign.
What beliefs motivate your actions?
- 1) The significant wins of the campaign so far have been down to a strong voice from the student body. The university's fossil free working group was a response to a consultation which showed that student want ethical investment. The change of position to divest from coal and tar sands came from the overwhelming support of students of our occupation of Charles Stewart House.
- 2) There is still a lot we can do to raise awareness about ethical investment on campus, and reach out to people who might not otherwise be inclined to get involved with student activism, and having posters with information about the campaign is one way we can do this.
- 3) Having the official backing of EUSA for the Divest the Rest campaign would put the student body in a stronger position to have its voices heard around ethical investment.
Submitted with 20 student signatures