LET´S ENGAGE TOGETHER!!
I WILL HELP YOU THROUGHOUT YOUR JOURNEY BEING PART OF THIS COMMUNITY AND THE WIDER CITY!
I WILL DO MY BEST TO MAKE YOUR VOICE BE HEARD AND MAKE THIS EXPERIENCE THE BEST IT CAN BE.
Hi, I'm LAURA!
Originally from Colombia, have been living in Edinburgh for almost two years, a time in which I have been a consistent and committed student representative in my Master's program. This experience helped me to see how important it is for us to be constantly engaged and make our voices be heard. Not only I had an opportunity to represent my immediate fellow students, I also gave a voice to international students on a wider level, a group that have suffered considerably with this pandemic. I am a very welcoming, open-minded, and empathetic person. Using my skills as an architect and designer I have the perfect set of tools to be creative and engage on critical projects involving different scales of impact within our community.
Analyze and Improve living conditions for students
Pandemic has shown us the importance our living conditions have upon our study experience. Using my extensive knowledge of the impact space has upon our daily lives and mental health, I will push the conversation.
- Design and conduct surveys to detect the conditions of student accommodations offered by the University and externally. Transparency of this for students before engaging in contracts.
- Fight for costs of accommodations and quality.
- Fight for better designed communal spaces in student accommodations.
- Analyze the pandemic situation as to how the regulations can be met without compromising mental health within these spaces.
- Design and promote multicultural safe activities either in person or online in order to enable meeting people in student accommodations.
- Help students have a better sense of what other types of renting options they have.
Engaging on a wider scale!
- Make students aware of the different communities that are present within our University generating interesting bridges to enrich and enhance social networking. Enable connections between cultures.
- Propitiate spaces and events generating student-staff relationships besides the strictly academic ones.
- Detect in which spaces students can play a role within the wider city community.
- Analyze the opportunities currently offered by the University to students and fight for options and quality within the offered payment methods.
- Engage more with graduated students and fight for the rights that were lost during the Pandemic.
- The impact of the textile industry is as heavy as the plastic one. I will generate campaigns to inform students on this matter within the University space and how they can help. I would fight for safe spaces to recycle clothing and textile waste.
- I will enable workshops that can be developed either online or in presence in order to learn how to upcycle your clothes or recycle them.
- Promote volunteering campaigns for cleaning beaches, rivers, and parks within the city.
- Promote and educate on “Circular Economy” across different fields.