A little bit about me
Hi, I'm Elias! I am a third year Music student running to be your VP Community.
In the past I’ve worked as Programme Representative and last year I was elected to be Undergraduate School Representative for our University’s largest school: the Edinburgh College of Art.
In this role, I co-chaired ECA’s Staff-Student Liaison Committee and witnessed first-hand the enormous detrimental impact of the pandemic on our student community. I’ve campaigned with Pause or Pay UK to raise awareness about the struggles of students who have lost access to studio spaces. I passed a motion at Student Council requiring formal support for ECA students’ complaint letter. The motion was adopted with over 95% votes in favour and indicated the widespread support from across the university on this issue. Beyond school, I’ve been a financial officer at the Edinburgh Student Housing Co-operative, which provides an affordable housing solution to students within a positive community that helps individuals thrive and develop.
Having gotten the chance to work on and understand the complexity of the issues we face as a student community, I have what it takes to make students' voices heard first in shaping the university’s way forward.
My Plan: Students First
Housing & Finance
- Pressure the University and private student housing companies to commit toward the provision of affordable and quality student accommodation
- Advocate for increased student employment opportunities at the University and at EUSA
- Lobby the University to introduce honorariums for elected representatives who have an essential role in communicating student issues
- Strengthen EUSA’s relationship with the Scottish Tenants’ Union to continue raising awareness of student’s rights as tenants
- Further promote the Student Housing Co-operative movement in Edinburgh
- Work with Lothian Buses to transition the King’s Buildings Shuttle Bus route to all-electric
- Further incentivize students’ use of bicycles through subsidized memberships to the Just Eat Scheme
- Establish more community gardens on campus and accommodations
- Expand availability of food waste bins on campus and in student flats
Back to Normal
- Establish a new EUSA service that provides remote packaging and shipment of students’ personal items that have been left behind
- Temporary transformation of Potterrow into a community support space in partnership with the Richard Verney Health Centre
- Make better use of available outdoor space. Use Bristo Square as an outdoor cinema.
My pronouns are he/him.
I wish to be an inclusive communicator, if you require my manifesto in a different format or have any questions, feel free to contact me here