Hi! I’m Emily, a 3rd year Medical Sciences student. I am very excited to be running to be your Biomedical School Undergraduate Representative and have the chance to represent you in discussions with the University, especially in such a novel and challenging environment. Having previously held roles as a class representative and global buddy leader, I have plenty of experience representing and supporting students within the university and supporting their learning experience!
As your next Biomedical School Undergraduate Representative, I will particularly aim to tackle these three main areas:
1. Fostering a Sense of Community
- Introduce social events for students and staff across the BMTO to regain the sense of community that has been lacking due to the removal of in-person teaching;
- Extend the Biomedical Academic Families system to include students across all years to maintain the support structure and provide peer as well as academic support;
- Introduce communication with offer-holders and new students to provide them with relevant and useful information relating to their academic experience.
2. Maintaining A Quality Educational Experience
- Work towards introducing biomed-specific skill sessions such as critical analysis and paper-writing, R programming and lab techniques;
- Investigate the possibility of cross-departmental guest lectures to highlight the collaborative aspect of the life sciences and provide students with an understanding of current innovative research;
- Investigate the potential of creating a dedicated quiet study space for students within the BMTO.
3. Enhance Representation and Communication
- Maintain and improve the current student representative system to ensure your voices and opinions are heard and action is taken in light of these;
- Improve the feedback system by which staff provide feedback to enable students to adequately understand what is needed to improve the standard of their work;
- Enhance the visibility of minority biomedical scientists who have contributed to the development of the field.
In conclusion, as your Biomedical School Undergraduate Representative, I will be a friendly, approachable face around campus, who will communicate and advocate your needs to the Deanery of Biomedical Sciences. I will approach this in a goal-oriented manner in order to accomplish as much as possible and communicate to you the progress being made :)