Hi! My name is Jaime Prada and, if elected, I would become the first non-binary person to bear this office. As a born and raised Mediterranean, I am thrilled to be representing the communities that define who I am. I understand the importance of this role and I will defend the points raised in this manifesto to the best of my abilities. However, I also understand my privileges, both as a white and male-presenting person. For that reason, I will ensure that every decision I make during my time in office will be assessed by a group of people from different backgrounds to avoid possible unconscious bias.
VISIBILITY OF NON-CIS EXPERIENCES ON CAMPUS
Comprehension of our experiences -both personally and academically- creates a gratifying environment for students and university staff. During my time in office, I will defend the need to:
- Ensure that student records are accurate and comprehensible.
- Create a larger system of gender-neutral facilities.
- Encourage mental health services to provide tailored assistance to non-cis students.
- Create a Survivor Space on campus.
REPRESENTATION OF NON-CIS STUDENTS
Lack of institutional understanding has its roots in underrepresentation. This office was created to solve this issue. But we need to take the matter further.
- Demand the inclusion of non-cis voices when discussing decisions that would impact our wellbeing.
- Support university groups on how to develop an inclusive programme.
- Maintain a direct line of communication between students and the Trans and Non-Binary Liberation Office.
EDUCATION OF CIS MEMBERS OF THE UNIVERSITY
Cis members of our university, whether they are students, teachers or other members of staff, need to listen and understand our stories. For that reason, class materials must be comprehensive and respectful with non-cis identities.
- Engage with schools to ensure an inclusive and safe class environment.
- Uplift the work of non-cis professionals in academic curricula, especially BME people.
- Confront any instance of transphobia in either class interactions or the materials used in the courses.
ERADICATION OF RACISM AND INTERSECTIONAL DISCRIMINATION
Racial justice must be our priority. To solve any possible unconscious bias, any initiative in this regard will be led by non-cis POC people, including:
- Create a safe space for non-cis POC students.
- Educate on racism, microaggressions and intersectional discrimination.
- Collaborate with anti-racist local groups, both on campus and in the city.
TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY
Non-cis students must have a say in issues that affect our wellbeing. Doing so would further avoid any instances of institutional discrimination on campus.
- Guarantee a high level of transparency between the university, this office and the students.
- Provide a safe direct line for victims to report discriminatory instances.
- Ensure that people who create, promote or defend transphobic discourses are held accountable.