Hi everyone! I’m Scarlett (she/her) and I'm a 3rd year running for HCA Undergraduate School Representative!
I’m very passionate about creating a community in HCA and representing everyone in our school. For the past three years, I have been on the History Society Committee, been a Programme Representative for History, and for the past two years have served as an Ambassador for the School. I understand the responsibility of being a representative and am ready to take on the position to represent you!
1. The issues I want to tackle are threefold:
I believe fostering a welcoming community in HCA is extremely important. No matter what year you’re in, connecting with our school is an important aspect of the student experience! Therefore, I plan to:
- Work with our societies to foster a relationship between all subjects and create more channels of communication for students across HCA to connect;
- Increase communication between staff and students;
- Continue working with HCA Diversity and Equality Committee to have transparent conversations around systemic forms of oppression in our school. I will continue to support and help give voice to our students in these discussions. All students regardless of their background should feel welcome in HCA.
2. Academic Support
I will support measures aiding in academic guidance. I plan to:
- Organise academic support events for first years, working with HCA Peer Support and societies to organise subject-specific events with staff and older students to give advice and make the essay-writing process less daunting. We should all support each other more in our academic endeavours;
- Work to make essay structure, advice, and marking criteria more transparent for all year groups;
- Continue the anonymous feedback reports to represent students views and understand other academic needs;
- Advocate for clarification and support for joint honours students both within and out with the school.
No student should feel disadvantaged in their university experience. I plan to;
- Support the retention of online learning post COVID-19. For many, the new policies and ways of learning introduced have proved to be beneficial. I will advocate for the continuation of remote access meetings;
- Support physical accessibility measures in our building when/if we transition to being back on campus;
- Work with the Disabled Student’s Officer to further accessibility needs for societies;
- Continue to support students in other accessibility needs, such as access to computers and other resources needed to perform in classes.
I want to be approachable and work on the feedback and opinions of the students I hope to represent. I truly love being a part of HCA and would really appreciate your vote! If you have any questions feel free to email me firstname.lastname@example.org or by Facebook /Instagram (sscarlettka)! <3