My name is Samantha Likonde, I am a third year law student, I have a keen interest in international human rights law and Delict. I also have a love for sports, particularly netball and athletics.
MOTIVATION & EXPERIENCE
I am running for the role of BME officer as issues of racial inequality, racism and discrimination are matters that I have always felt a duty to stand against.
I have a wide range of experience highlighting my continuous fight against inequality such as being a co-founder and director of the BlackED movement which was created to highlight issues of racial inequality within the university through advocating for and working with various minority peers and staff.
I have also worked as a volunteer with the Unity centre who give practical support and solidarity to asylum seekers and other migrants in Scotland.
Further I am currently the project coordinator of the young Saheliya project which works to Support young BME women from refugee backgrounds through mental health and employability.
Lastly I am the current vice president of the African Caribbean society.
All of my experience signifies that I have always ensured I am fighting for equality and standing for solidarity through working with numerous BME communities.
I aim to work closely with staff and students to rebuild confidence and ensure solidarity within our University.
The areas I wish to focus on include;
- Representative counselling service
- Eliminate the anxiety of talking to a counsellor who you feel does not have the capacity to understand your situation due to various cultural barriers.
- Implementation of an Enquiry service
- To allow for a system of transparency whereby students can see how the university deal with issues of racial injustice on campus.
- Increase participation in volunteering and sporting activities
- Through awareness campaigns and rewards for exceptional efforts. As well as increasing access to resources which would aid future career endeavours.
- Improve racial literacy on campus
- All BME students deserve to feel safe and comfortable in university without the worry of microaggressions and racially insensitive comments.
Find out more on my Instagram page; Likondesamantha
And my facebook page; SamanthaLikonde
Email me if you would like more information or to include any areas that you feel need to be focused on; email@example.com