My name is Emmie Main and I am a 3rd Year student on the BA Community Education course. Moray House has supported me so much during my time here and I feel now is a perfect time to give back.
I have extensive experience in representing my peers. I spent 2 years as the chair of my local youth council and 2 years as a Member of the Scottish Youth Parliament, where I learned the necessary skills to be an accountable and accesible representative. Now, I work as a youth worker and use this as a chance to campaign on equality and inclusion.
I believe I would be a great representative for the School of Education and Sport because I am passionate about democracy and about making change happen. I will work with students to ensure everyone has a positive experience during their time at Moray House and will endeavour to make the time to meet as many students as possible.
My key policies that I will be running on will be:
Work Experience and Volunteering Opportunities
- Use my contacts in the public and charity sectors in Edinburgh and Lothians to help create work and volunteering opportunites that are relevant to students at Moray House.
- Promote the benefits of undertaking volunteering and work experience during university and ensure that those who do volunteer are recognised for their work.
Social and Wellbeing Opportunities at the Holyrood Campus
- I will help to support the creation of new groups and social opportunities at the Holyrood Campus, so that students are able to meet new peers within the school, as well as exploring the possibility of creating an Education and Sport Society.
- Introduce new activities at the campus focused around mental health and wellbeing, such as regular walking groups, meditation classes or regular open lunch sessions for people to come along to.
- Consult fellow students on the social spaces available at the Holyrood Campus to see how these are being used and how they can be improved.
- Foster links with the Staff and Student Liason Committees for each course and to create a 'feedback loop', ensuring that any concerns expressed at these meetings that can be taken further to a university level are and that any feedback is delivered directly to the SSLC.
- Regular 'surgeries' for students to bring their concerns to me and to make sure as many students as possible know who I am and how to get in contact with me.
- Regular update circulated to all students in the school, so that everyone is aware of the work that I am doing and anything I have achieved through my work as school rep.
Please, vote Emmie Main for as your number 1 candidate. Thank you! #TheMainChoice