Hi, I'm Amanda! I am a fourth year International Relations student and I am running for Vice President Community.
I'm grateful that Edinburgh has truly felt like home since I've been at university and I have been a part of some brilliant student initiatives and socieites that have helped foster that feeling.
However, I know there is so much more that can be done when it comes to enriching the relationship students have with the university and wider city community, which is why I want to represent students' voices and fight for positive and lasting change.
Here's my plan of action...
Let's get local
- Increase student engagement with local issues
- Introduce workshops on social issues in Edinburgh to be run by Local MPs or community members/organisations
- Have all Students' Association survey vouchers and giveaways be partnered with local shops
- Create an online platform to amplify and promote local events that are being run outside of the university community
Let's get sustainable
- Make Students' Association buildings a resource for information and space to drop off hard to recycle items such as electronics or furniture
- Create a campaign around sustainable food choice, including a guide and tips on how students can make more local and greener choices
- Expand the zero waste shop and conduct a survey on what students want and need when it comes to making the transition to zero waste
And let's make Edinburgh feel like home
Follow my Facebook page: fb.me/amandaforvpc
- Start a campaign to get students aware of their tenancy and employment rights to make sure students are not being taken advantage of and have access to safe accommodation and work
- Continue to fight for a rent cap on university student halls and advocate for university builds instead of private housing
- Keep pushing for accessible, cheap and sustainable transport options across campuses
- Reevaulate the student guarantor scheme and university housing scheme, working towards expansion and accessibility of these services
- Encourage more art on campus
- advocate for temporary art installations across campuses, with a focus on art that gives a platform to underrepresented student voices
- Create more community events and meet-ups for postgraduate international students