I remember arriving in Welcome Week being overwhelmed with the amount on offer that I ended up just floating through my first two years not being involved. However, in my third year after the encouragement of friends I pushed myself to participate and try something new. When I did, this changed my university experience exponentially. Your time at Edinburgh is about so much more than your degree, and from my experiences and many others, it is the extra-curricular activities that provide students with not only great opportunities but also where you find your home away from home. I want to ensure this experience is there for all students and that is why I am running to be your next Vice President Activities and Services.
IMPROVE HEALTHY AND RESPONSIBLE LIFESTYLES
- Start #taketen campaign during deadlines periods, encouraging people to take a ten minute walk or break from study. With the idea of finding sponsorship from step counting suppliers.
- Make Wednesday afternoons free to enable participation in extra-curricular activities for all.
- Provide more farmers’ markets across the university to promote localism over consumerism.
- Stock Playerlayer’s environmentally friendly Ecolayer products in the EUSA shops.
- See free yoga expanded to include KB, Little France and Easter Bush.
- Celebrating student events – ensure big student university events are included in your outlook calendar so you never miss an event.
- Connecting our societies and sports clubs through skill swaps e.g. Bhangra teaching Korfball and vice-versa.
- Expand the #WeAreEdinburgh student profiles and make it a feature of the university website, so people know about all the incredible things you are doing!
EXPAND SCHOOL COMMUNITIES
- Every school to have a school society – which would work on everything from:
- Conferences and Socials
- School Families
- Intra-mural sport
- Meet the lecturer events
- Lobby for schools to employ students to run school social media page and create Instagram competitions between the schools.