In the last year many student societies and projects received funding through the Volunteering Impact Fund or the Development Fund.
The Volunteering Impact Fund helps run hands-on volunteering projects, it’s open to all Volunteering Groups, Societies, Sports Clubs, Schools and Departments.The Development Fund helps Society or Volunteering Groups with ambitious, impactful projects: purchasing equipment, training, event planning.
In the 2017/18 year we funded some wonderful volunteering projects and societies, including:
The Dirty Weekenders
- Travelled to Davie Park in Blairgowrie, Perthshire to help with park maintenance
- Helped Edinburgh Lothians and Greenspace trust with a litter pick at Burdiehouse Burn Valley Park.
Best Buddies Edinburgh
- Organised a Christmas meal to combat loneliness and bring all their members together.
Images: Best Buddies Edinburgh
EAOP (Edinburgh Archaeology Outreach Project)
- Went into schools, museums and other community centres to teach archaeology.
Mental Health and Wellbeing Society
- Ran a mental health first aid course with a certified instructor.
Images: Mental Health and Wellbeing Society
- Taught workshops in Ancient Greek, Ancient History and Archaeology to four classes who currently don’t have these topics in their curriculum.
Edinburgh Music Outreach Society
- Visited Liberton Hospital to perform for patients.
Cooking for health
- Taught cooking skills and basic nutrition to elderly or isolated individuals.
The funds will open again in Semester 1, 2018 keep an eye on the website!